Make 2021 safer, healthier, and more effective by taking on these resolutions for your business:
- Develop an emergency preparedness program. Establish guidelines for medical, severe weather, and fire emergencies. Practice these procedures with all employees, reinforce them at all levels of the company, and post reminders in high traffic areas. Make sure you have an adequate supply of first aid equipment on hand and have designated employees trained in CPR and standard first aid.
- Create a return-to-work program. Develop a plan to help injured workers back to work sooner after an incident.
- Identify hazards and take steps to remove them. Workplace hazards could include electrical cords on the ground, defective equipment, tired drivers, heat stress, and more. If possible, eliminate the hazard. If not, create warnings (back-up alarms, or labels on chemicals, for example). Train your employees on procedures for safely handling the hazards. Provide the appropriate equipment like glasses, boots, reflective vests, earplugs, etc., and make sure employees use them.
- Offer ergonomics training. Back injuries and cumulative trauma disorders like carpal tunnel syndrome can be costly for your employees and your company. Create a committee or provide employee training about adjusting workstations and computers to reduce wrist and back tension, and safely handling and lifting materials.
- Update your insurance policy. Did you make any significant changes to your business operations in the past year, such as expanding your office or adding new drivers? Contact your Farmers Union Agent to make sure all aspects of your business are protected.
Thanks to our Premier company partner, Secura Insurance, for contributing to the content of this blog.